In 1998, the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation was established to support women’s shelters and domestic violence prevention programs. Not content to simply write a cheque, Royal LePage set out to embed a philanthropic culture within its offices across Canada, engaging Royal LePage professionals to support close to 200 women’s shelters in the communities in which they live and work.
Since that time, Royal LePage sales representatives, broker/owners and staff have helped to raise more than $27 million for the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation, making it Canada’s largest public foundation dedicated exclusively to funding programs that aim to put an end to domestic violence. Royal LePage covers the foundation’s operating costs so 100% of all donations are directed to the cause.
Royal LePage Shelter Foundation supporters continue to have good reason to contribute. Did you know?
- Half of all women in Canada over the age of 16 have experienced at least one incident of sexual or physical violence.
- Each year in Canada, an estimated 362,000 children witness or experience family violence.
- On average, every six days in Canada, a woman is murdered by her current or former intimate partner.
This is why women’s shelters serve a vital role in our communities and why Royal LePage offices and agents raise funds for their local women’s shelter in a variety of ways, including:
- Donating a portion of their commissions;
- Organizing unique and entertaining fundraising events;
- Donating and bidding generously in the company’s legendary silent and live auctions; and
- Participating in the National Garage Sale for Shelter, a one-day charity garage sale which marked it’s 10th annual event this past Spring and which has now raised $3 million.
Contributions to the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation help women find safety, work through their traumatic experiences, and build confidence and self-esteem. The shelters we support help women create lives for themselves and their children that are free from violence and filled with hope rather than fear.
The Royal LePage Shelter Foundation also raises the profile of services available to women seeking help. We are proud to support initiatives like sheltersafe.ca, a 24/7 online connection to shelters across Canada, which serves thousands of women annually. In addition, the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation supports programs that help youth develop healthy and respectful relationships, an important step in preventing intimate partner violence.
In talking about an issue that is too often hidden behind closed doors, Royal LePage professionals bring awareness to the impact of domestic violence and let survivors know that there is hope for healing and the chance to lead a safer and happier life.
For more information on the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation, please visit royallepage.ca/shelter.